Artificial intelligence is the simulation of human intelligence processes by machines. At present, AI is properly known as a narrow AI or weak AI, which is designed to perform a narrow task such as only for facial recognition or only for internet searches or only for driving a car.
Artificial intelligence has always been based on the assumption that the process of human thought can be mechanized. The concept of AI may seem like a new concept but according to Indian, Chinese and Greek philosophies it actually even dates back up to 1st millennium BCE. It was in 1956 that the first workshop of Artificial Intelligence took place and the field of AI research was born.
Humans have a brain to assist them in making a decision but what about AI?
Well, like we take a path to reach our destination similarly every AI system follows a path to solve a problem known as logic. Logic simply means some conditions set for a computer to choose either true or false and hence carry out its tasks. But this is where AI comes into play as it uses the huge data it gathered and learn from it to choose the condition input wisely thus making it artificially intelligent or ‘Superintelligent’.
A Superintelligence AI could take up the following forms;
- Speed Superintelligence: AI could imitate human intelligence, but work more quickly.
- Collective Superintelligence: A network of subsystems that could autonomously take care of discrete issues that are a part of a larger undertaking.
- Quality Superintelligence: It alludes to an AI of such high caliber that it is as superior to human intellect.
Stephen Hawking explained this concept by saying “A super-intelligent AI will be extremely good at accomplishing its goals, and if those goals aren’t aligned with ours, we’re in trouble.” You’re probably not an evil ant-hater who steps on ants out of malice, but if you’re in charge of a hydroelectric green energy project and there’s an anthill in the region to be flooded, too bad for the ants.
Mankind has already built a foundation toward its dream of perfect AI and thus developed the virtual assistants like Alexa, Siri, and many others.
The goals of AI research traditionally include:
- Knowledge representation
- Natural language processing
- Ability to move and manipulate objects
- General intelligence
THE BIG QUESTION How AI can be dangerous?
AI might become a risk most likely in the following two scenarios:
- The AI is programmed to do something devastating: Autonomous weapons are artificial intelligence systems that are programmed to kill. In the hands of the wrong person, these weapons could easily cause mass casualties.
- The AI is programmed to do something beneficial, but it develops a destructive method for achieving its goal: This can happen whenever we fail to fully align the AI’s goals with ours, which is strikingly difficult. If you ask an obedient intelligent car to take you to the airport as fast as possible, it might get you there chased by helicopters and covered in vomit, doing not what you wanted but literally what you asked for.
Artificial Intelligence will benefit us in the following ways:-
- Advance Autopilot System for next-generation spacecraft.
- Doing millions of complex calculations in mere seconds in the field of space and astrophysics for different space observations and missions.
- In the medical sector, AI could help in determining the various problems of patients quickly and precisely.
- Scientists have practical strategies that could help them develop a moral character inside an AI making it more human-like.
AI overcame many obstacles over the last decades mainly on the academic side. However, right now it is facing one of its major challenges so far, which is the adoption in real-world industry scenarios and the myths and misunderstanding surrounding it.
Recent advancements in the field of Artificial Intelligence have been namely:
- The ability of AI robots to learn through observations eg. Nvidia
- Self-driving/ Autonomous vehicles eg. Tesla
- Humanoids based on AI eg.Hanson Robotics
- Emotion AI which can detect people’s mood by a change in their voice intonation and speech pauses. The movie ‘HER’ perfectly portrayed how Emotion AI will turn out in the future.
- Enhancing the traditional cybersecurity solutions enabling them to be able to early identify or predict attacks and recommend primitive strikes on adversarial systems. eg. Capgemini
Nowadays, the AI sector is thriving hence also bringing many different career opportunitieslike Data Scientist, Machine Learning Engineer and many more. We will talk about this in detail in our upcoming blog.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is becoming more integrated into the business world. Thus, it is evident to say that AI is going to be the future of the world and it will become more and more intelligent with working with concepts like ‘Neural Links’, ‘Humanoids’, ‘Autonomous Vehicles’ and many other future projects.
Do you think theories like AI/ Humanoids taking over the world will come to pass? Share your response in the comment section.